As training camp closes and preseason begins, us Redskins fans need to work just as hard as our team to get ready for this upcoming season.
In recent years, Washington Redskins fans haven’t come to games with the same furor. Gone are the days of the Hogettes and Chief Z; those fans put in the work and realized that they actually had an effect on the game. The home-field advantage at RFK was like no other! This was our house and we let the whole league know it.
As I write this article, I am getting chills thinking of the nostalgia that comes with the seat cushion game or the way the stadium seats used to rock when we would score. I remember going to school on Mondays after a Sunday win and hearing the teachers talk about our team with such pride and affection. We were a family; it didn’t matter if you were a player, coach, or fan. We were one.
That’s what made us different; it was the closeness of players and coaches to fans that gave us our home-field advantage. We, as fans, need to conduct some self-evaluation and be honest. The truth is that we haven’t lived up to our own standards in recent years. Now is the time to take back our house! We will do this by adhering to these five basic rules of Redskins fandom!
The Redskins fan’s guide to regaining home field advantage
1) Show up to the games if you can! There shouldn’t be more of our opponent’s fan base in our house than us.
2) Know the situation. If we are on defense, the stadium should be loud. I mean rocking. Our opponent’s offense wont be able to function easily and our defense will feed off of the energy that we are giving off. Momentum is real! Conversely, if we are on offense the stadium should be quieter, allowing our offense to audible with ease. We will have our chance to cheer for them when we score. Trust me; they will appreciate it.
3) Be loyal. One bad play, or even one bad game, doesn’t deserve boos; lets save those for the opponent.
4) Treat every game like a playoff game. When the players realize that we take the game as serious as they do then they will want to win for us even more.
5) Remember who we are. We are Washington Redskins fans. That title holds prestige because of those who came before us. It’s our duty to them, ourselves, and our team to live up to it and take it to another level. If you already do these things, keep it up! If not, make sure you step up and help your team!