The Washington Redskins are spiraling into the abyss of mediocrity. That should be okay since they have frequented those parts for the better part of the last twenty years and they know their way around. However, if fans need something to cheer themselves up with there is hope. The last two major blowouts the Redskins suffered, they earned playoff berths in those same exact seasons. In 2005, the were shutout 36-0 at the Meadowlands and made the playoffs with a 10-6 record. In 2007, they lost 52-7 to the Patriots in New England, finished with a 9-7 record and earned yet another wild card spot.
This year may not be so easy as the NFC is awfully tight, and two of the hottest teams in the NFC happen to be in their division. To make things more difficult, they go to Tennessee to face a Titans team that has won every NFC East game they have played this year.
The Titans will be a difficult challenge, and many feel it is not likely they win. However, we have found a list of 10 things they Skins could do to escape the land of Elvis with a win.
1. Find a way to slow down Chris Johnson. I said, slow him down. This guy is probably the best running back of his era, yes even better than Adrian Peterson. He makes the offense go, and at times he is the offense.
2. Frustrate Vince Young. Of the last few years, Vince Young has overcome his own shortcomings and immaturity but he still has not peaked into the field general many thought he would be coming out of college. Force him to make enough mistakes to keep him from finding a rhythm will greatly improve the Skins chances of winning.
3. Get the running backs involved. At this point it doesn’t matter who is in the backfield — Torain, Williams, or even Portis if he is healthy enough. The Redskins have been painfully one dimensional. If McNabb and his receivers are to have some success, a back –or two– will have to have success out of the backfield.
4.McNabb needs to find his mojo. McNabb is not a top tier quarterback, but he is not totally worthless. His play this season has not been indicative of what he is truly capable of doing. If he finds a groove, that could mean good things for the Redskins.
5. The Redskins defensive line must be able to apply pressure. Versus the Eagles, the Redskins looked putrid and basically had the best seats in the house watching Michael Vick take his game into the stratosphere.
6. The Redskins secondary must make plays, and play tougher in coverage. This is not an understatement. It is more of a plea. The Titan’s receiving core is hurt. Randy Moss did nothing last week. They need a good game.
7.The kick and punt coverage teams must hold the Titans’ returns to a minimum. Give them the whole field to work with. They have a great kicker who can make chip shots from their parking lot.
8. Brandon Banks must have a good return game. Plain and simple. In Detroit he gave the team a chance to win. He will be needed from here on out to put this team in a position to win. A short field at times can be a great distance.
9. Graham Gano needs to make his kicks. Fans piss and moan about the team settling for kicks, at this point the Redskins need the points.
10. The wide receivers needs to have a decent game. Plain and simple. Help bail out McNabb by extending plays, finishing routes, and DUUUH making routine catches.
Is this the winning recipe for a win? No, but it can help.
Topics: #1 NFL Team, 2010 Draft, 2010 NFL Draft, 2010 NFL Power Rankings, 2010 NFL Rookies, 2010 NFL Standings, 2010-2011 NFL Season, 2011 NFL Draft, 2011 NFL Draft Order NFC North Team Needs- Chicago Bears, 2011 NFL Draft Order; 2011 NFL Mock Draft, 2011 NFL Draft Prospect Big Board, 2011 NFL Draft Scouting Reports, 2011 NFL Mock Draft, 2011 NFL Power Rankings, 2011 NFL Rookies, 2011 NFL Standings, Aaron Kampman, Aaron Williams, Adrian Clayborn, AJ Green, Akeem Ayers, Alabama, Allen Bailey, Andre Luck, Anthony Castonzo, Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Cardinals Draft Needs AFC North Team Needs- Baltimore Ravens, Arizona Cardinals Team Needs, Arkansas, Atlanta +Falcons, Atlanta Falcons Draft Needs NFC East Team Needs- Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons Team Needs, Auburn, Baltimore Ravens, Baltimore Ravens Draft Needs, Baltimore Ravens Team Needs, Bears, Benn, Big Board, Boston College, Bradford, Brandon Jacobs, Brandon Marshall, Broncos, Bruce Carter, Bucs, Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Bills Draft Needs AFC West Team Needs- Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills Team Needs, BYU, Cameron Heyward, Carolina Panthers, Carolina Panthers Draft Needs, Carolina Panthers Team Needs, CB, Charlie Whitehurst, Chicago Bears, Chicago Bears Draft Needs, Chicago Bears Team Needs, Christian Ponder, Cincinnati Bengals, Cincinnati Bengals Draft Needs AFC South Team Needs- Indianapolis Colts, Cincinnati Bengals Team Needs, Clemson, Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Browns Draft Needs, Cleveland Browns Team Needs, Coach Carroll, Coach Gailey's, Coach Pete Carroll, Cody Grimm, Colordo, Colt McCoy, Curtis Brown, Da'Quan Bowers, Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Cowboys Draft Needs, Dallas Cowboys Team Needs, Danario Alexander, Daniel Thomas, Darceus, David Garrard, DE, DE/OLB, DeAndre McDaniel, DeMarco Murray, DeMarcus Love, Denver Broncos, Denver Broncos Draft Needs, Denver Broncos Team Needs, Derek Sherrod, Detroit Lions, Detroit Lions Draft Needs, Detroit Lions Team Needs, Deunta Williams, Dez Bryant, Draft Order, Drake Nevis, DT, Duenta Williams, Dwayne Bowe, Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Evan Royster, Florida, Florida State, Gabe Carimi, Gabe Carmi, Georgia, Green, Green Bay Packers, Green Bay Packers Draft Needs, Green Bay Packers Team Needs, Greg Jones, Houston Texans, Houston Texans Draft Needs, Houston Texans Team Needs, Indianapolis Colts, Indianapolis Colts Draft Needs, Indianapolis Colts Team Needs, Indy Colts Big Board- 2011 NFL Draft, Iowa, Jacksonville Jaguars, Jacksonville Jaguars Draft Needs, Jacksonville Jaguars Team Needs, Jaguars, Jahvid Best, Jake Locker, Janoris Jenkins, Jared Crick, Jared Gaither, Jeremy Beal, Jim Kelly's, Joey Porter, John Abraham, Jonathan Baldwin, Jones, Joseph Barksdale, Julio Jones, Julio Jones Alabama, Justin Boren, Kansas City Chiefs, Kansas City Chiefs Draft Needs, Kansas City Chiefs Team Needs, Kansas State, Kyle Rudolph, LB, Lovie Smith, LSU, Malcolm Floyd, Marcel Darceus, Mark Herzlich, Mark Ingram, Marvin Austin, Matt Reynolds, Max Hall, Miami, Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins Draft Needs, Miami Dolphins Team Needs, Michael Floyd, Michigan State, Mike Pouncey, Mike Williams, Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Vikings Draft Needs NFC South Team Needs- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Minnesota Vikings Team Needs, Mississippi State, Mock, Mock Draft, Nate Allen, Nate Solder, Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska, New England Patriots, New England Patriots Draft Needs, New England Patriots Team Needs, New Orleans Saints, New Orleans Saints Draft Needs, New Orleans Saints Team Needs, New York Giants, New York Giants Draft Needs, New York Giants Team Needs, New York Jets, New York Jets Draft Needs, New York Jets Team Needs, NFL, NFL Draft, NFL Draft Big Board, NFL Power Rankings, NFL Power Rankings- Chicago Bears, NFL Rookie Rankings, NFL Rookie Watch, NFL Rookies, NFL Standings, Nick Fairly, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oakland Raiders, Oakland Raiders Draft Needs, Oakland Raiders Team Needs, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma Mock Drafts- 2011 NFL Draft, OLB, OT, Pat Angerer, Pat Williams, Patrick Peterson, Penn State, Peyton Manning, Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Eagles Draft Needs, Philadelphia Eagles Team Needs, Pierre Thomas, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Needs, Pittsburgh Steelers Team Needs, Prince Amukamara, Purdue, QB, Quinn, Rahim Moore, Raiders, Ras-I Dowling, RB, Reggie Bush, Robert Quinn, Rodney Hudson, Rookie Watch- Chicago Bears, Ryan Broles, Ryan Kerrigan, Ryan Mallett, Ryan Mathews, Ryan Williams, S, Sam Bradford, San Diego Chargers, San Diego Chargers Draft Needs, San Diego Chargers Team Needs, San Francisco 49ers, San Francisco 49ers Draft Needs, San Francisco 49ers Team Needs, Scouting Reports, Seattle Seahawks, Seattle Seahawks Draft Needs, Seattle Seahawks Team Needs, St. Louis Rams, St. Louis Rams Draft Needs, St. Louis Rams Team Needs, Stanford, Stefen Wisniewski, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Draft Needs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Needs, Tampa Bay Bucs, Tennessee Titans, Tennessee Titans Draft Needs AFC East Team Needs- New York Jets, Tennessee Titans Team Needs, Terrence Toliver, Texas, Texas A&M, Thomas Davis, Top NFL Rookies, Top NFL Teams, Travis Lewis, Trent Williams, UCLA, UNC, Vernon Gholston, Vincent Jackson, Virginia, Von Miller, Washington, Washington Redskins, Washington Redskins Draft Needs NFC West Team Needs- Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins Team Needs, Week ___ NFL Power Rankings, Wisconsin, WR