Trade with Denver into the Number 9 spot. To acquire that pick, you give up this year’s first-round pick (19th overall) and second-round pick (51st overall), as well as a third-rounder in 2022.
Options: Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Mac Jones
Since we don’t know which quarterback San Francisco is targeting, we don’t have a very good guess about which of the three options might fall to either nine or 13. For the record, I think San Fran wants Lance, but we all have to remain flexible.
More from Commanders Draft News
- What will Emmanuel Forbes bring to the Washington Commanders?
- Highlighting the best Commanders 2023 NFL Draft betting props
- 3 late Commanders rumors drawing buzz ahead of the 2023 NFL Draft
- 4 bold predictions for the Commanders 2023 NFL Draft
- Bet365 VA Bonus Code – Claim $200 Guaranteed With Sign-Up Bonus
If Lance somehow falls to nine, I make the trade.
It is not without risk. Lance is by no means a sure thing. But he has such enormous upside, and at some point you have to make your move. If you can get him at this price – which works out to be a second and third-round pick, that’s a good gamble.
With two third-rounders this year, you can still address a couple of big holes on defense, and you can load up on offensive linemen in later rounds.
But I do not make the same deals for either Fields or Jones.