How the Redskins get Da’Ron Payne
In the event that Fitzpatrick and Vea are both off the board, the Redskins are probably going to go with another talent on the defensive line. That would be Da’Ron Payne of Alabama. Payne had long been considered one of the favorites to go with the No. 13 pick, and Vea only recently moved ahead of him in the pecking order for the Redskins.
It’s looking like it will be easy for the Redskins to land Payne, as no team in the top 12 appears to be zeroing in on him as a target. For that reason, he should be on the board at No. 13.
However, the bigger point here will be how Vea and Fitzpatrick come off the board. It’s looking like Payne is third among those options, so both will have to be off the board for the Redskins to take them. And how might that happen? It would probably involved the 49ers and the Dolphins, as can be seen from this version of the mock.
More from Riggo's Rag
- What will Emmanuel Forbes bring to the Washington Commanders?
- Highlighting the best Commanders 2023 NFL Draft betting props
- 3 late Commanders rumors drawing buzz ahead of the 2023 NFL Draft
- 4 bold predictions for the Commanders 2023 NFL Draft
- Commanders News: Chase Young trade, draft day, CB riser and Sam Howell
8. Chicago Bears: LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
9. San Francisco 49ers: DB Minkah Fitzpatrick
10. Oakland Raiders: S Derwin James, Florida State
11. Miami Dolphins: NT Vita Vea, Washington
12. Buffalo Bills: QB Josh Rosen, UCLA
13. Washington Redskins: NT Da’Ron Payne, Alabama
For those wondering, Roquan Smith probably wouldn’t get consideration here from the Redskins. He’s an immensely talented linebacker, but the team has other more pressing needs at the moment. So, he falls out of the top 13 in this circumstance and Payne is the pick.
Payne would be a solid pick here, as his athletic ability on the defensive line would do a lot to patch the need the team has at nose tackle. So, it’s possible that he could be the selection here, though it is looking less likely than it did just a week ago.