It’s been reported that the Washington Redskins are interested in re-signing outside linebacker Brian Orakpo before the start of free agency. However, there are other teams interested in signing Orakpo as well.
With Orakpo’s history with injuries, one would think that if the Redskins are interested it wouldn’t be to sign him to a long-term deal and it would need to be cap friendly. Brian Orakpo wasn’t effective as a pass rusher last season, registering only a half sack in 2014 in seven games before being lost to injury.
More from Riggo's Rag
- Instant reactions to the Commanders embarrassing Week 3 loss
- Biggest duds from Week 3 as Commanders get steamrolled by Eagles
- Amon-Ra St. Brown scorns Commanders, Dyami Brown after Week 2 win
- Shoulder surgery reportedly nixed Commanders-49ers Jimmy Garoppolo trade
- Robert Griffin III condemns Commanders’ public criticism of Jamin Davis
So if other teams are interested in signing Orakpo to a long-term deal I think the Redskins will surely be out bid for his services. And I’m sure as the report by Dianna Marie Russini states the Redskins are talking to Orakpo about a deal but why wouldn’t they?
If they can sign him to a cap friendly deal then that would work out extremely well for the Redskins. If not, then I don’t think the Redskins will be that disappointed as they still have Trent Murphy who can step in and they can sign another free agent edge rusher more in their price range.
The Redskins can also draft an edge rusher with a high round pick if they so desire. So while anything is possible, I still don’t think the Redskins will re-sign Brian Orakpo. But we’ll find out for sure soon enough.