Redskins vs. Browns – Team Connections
Washington Redskins with connections to the Cleveland Browns:
1. Colt McCoy, quarterback - McCoy was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 3rd round of the 2010 NFL Draft. As a rookie he started eight games and passed for 1,576 yards with 6 TD’s and 9 interceptions. In his second season McCoy passed for 2,733 yards with 14 TD’s and 11 interceptions.
But then McCoy lost his starting job in his third season before being traded to the San Francisco 49ers in 2013.2. Shawn Lauvao, left guard – Lauvao was also a third round pick by the Browns in the 2010 NFL Draft. He started 43 games for the Browns during his four year stay with the team. However, this offseason Lauvao was signed by the Redskins as a free agent and is now the starting left guard on the offensive line.
3. Brian Baker, outside linebackers coach – Baker served as the Cleveland Browns outside linebackers coach last season before coming to the Redskins this year.
4. Clifton Geathers, defensive end - Geathers was also drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 2010 draft. He was a sixth round draft pick but didn’t end up making the team. The Redskins signed Geathers as a free agent this offseason.
Cleveland Browns with connections to the Washington Redskins:
1. Kyle Shanahan, offensive coordinator - Kyle Shanahan was the Redskins offensive coordinator for four seasons from 2010-2013. The last two seasons Shanahan’s offenses ranked in the top 10 of the NFL, thanks mostly to the vaunted running attack that Shanahan helped devise.
However, Shanahan was dismissed from his duties when his father Mike Shanahan was fired a Redskins head coach last season.
2. Rex Grossman, quarterback – Grossman started sixteen games at quarterback for the Redskins during his four year stint with the team. His best season came in 2011 when he passed for 3,151 yards, 16 TD’s and 20 interceptions. He served as a backup the past two seasons and is now in that role with the Browns.
3. Anthony Armstrong, wide receiver - Anthony Armstrong signed with the Redskins as a free agent in 2009 and was assigned to their practice squad. In 2010 he started 11 games at wide receiver and had 44 receptions for 871 yards and 3 TD’s. Armstrong was released by the Redskins prior to the 2012 season.