Redskins vs. Patriots: Rookie Report – Morgan Moses
Morgan Moses, offensive tackle -
Washington Redskins rookie offensive tackle had a rough start to his first appearance as a Redskin getting called for holding early in the second quarter. It was on a busted play and scramble by backup quarterback Kirk Cousins. Moses can be seen grabbing the jersey of a New England Patriots linebacker to keep him away from Cousins.
But after than Moses seemed to settle down a bit. He still looks a little stiff in trying to gain leverage and plays too high. But you can also see that he has a lot of raw talent and can use his size and strength well to be a good run blocker and pass protector. Moses did give up a sack though but I don’t think it was all his fault.
- The Patriots defensive end Michael Buchanan got a good jump off the snap and flushed Redskins QB Colt McCoy up in the pocket.
- I actually think McCoy took too deep a drop back here as he was already in the shotgun.
- But Morgan Moses didn’t move his feet fast enough but did catch up to Buchanan before he could get to McCoy.
- Redskins rookie tight end Ted Bolser broke open over the middle but McCoy didn’t see him.
- And with no one else open Buchanan was able to recover and get the sack on the play.
So it wasn’t too bad a debut for Morgan Moses. He definitely has some things to work on but the raw talent is there. He and the Redskins coaches just need to work on improving his technique. And I think once that happens Morgan Moses could end up becoming a quality starter for the Redskins some point down the road.