2013 Defensive Line sacks: 5.5
Reasons for over 10 sacks:
- The Redskins signed defensive end Jason Hatcher from the Dallas Cowboys and he had 11 sacks last season.
- Hatcher’s presence should open things up for the other lineman.
- Chris Baker is expected to start at the other defensive end spot this season, and he’s good at pressuring the quarterback.
- Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has promised a more aggressive defense in 2014 and the D-linemen should be more active.
- The outside linebackers will be turned loose more to attack the quarterback this season, and that could help free up the linemen.
Reasons for under 10 sacks:
- Jason Hatcher is the only known threat as a pass rusher on the defensive line.
- If Hatcher gets injured, that could interrupt the potential of the potential of the line as a whole to rush the passer.
- The D-line only had 5.5 sacks last season, so there’s nothing to guarantee they can exceed that total by twice the amount.
- The outside linebackers Ryan Kerrigan and Brian Orakpo could take sacks away from the defensive line.
The fact that the Redskins only got 5.5 sacks total from their entire defensive line is a pathetic statistic for the Redskins. Even 3-4 defense teams need the down linemen to help generate a pass rush, but it didn’t seem to happen for the Redskins last season. So enter Jason Hatcher as a free agent signee to help improve the situation.
Hatcher had 11 sacks last season for the Cowboys as a 4-3 defensive tackle, so if he can get just half of that this season for the Redskins, the rest of the line should be able to come up with the other half to get the defensive line over 10 sacks for the season. However, Hatcher will need to stay healthy for the rest of the line to get an impact from his presence.
2014 Defensive line sack Projection: 12