2013 record: 3-13
Reasons for over 8 wins or over:
- A healthy Robert Griffin III, who’s had a productive off-season.
- More weapons to throw to in the passing game in DeSean Jackson and Andre Roberts.
- A more aggressive defense featuring linebackers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan rushing the passer more.
- More pass rushers have been added to the roster like Jason Hatcher and Trent Murphy.
- A new head coach in Jay Gruden wo has a new philosophy and a better relationship with RGIII.
Reasons for under 8 wins:
- Jay Gruden’s inexperience as an NFL head coach could be a detriment.
- Team chemistry might be effected by too many personalities wanting the football.
- Robert Griffin III may not improve dramatically over his 2013 performance.
- An injury to RGIII that keeps him out of the lineup.
- Not enough quality depth at safety.
One of the biggest reasons the Redskins won the NFC East in 2012 was the play of Robert Griffin III, and one of the biggest reasons they had a losing season last year was the play of RGIII. But the team also did not have enough quality depth at receiver, and on the defense to make up for what was lost from RGIII’s sophomore slump.
However, Griffin is now healthy and much better prepared for the season by being able to work on his game than having to rehab. Also the Redskins now have one of the best receiving units in the NFL, and have added more depth at each position on defense, and have more pass rushers. I think this equals to more than 8 wins this season.
2014 Record Projection: 9-7