Pierre Garcon, wide receiver
2013 stats: 113 receptions, 1,346 yards, 5 TD’s
Reasons for over 90 catches:
- The Redskins will be throwing the ball more this season in Jay Gruden’s offense.
- Garcon is one of the most reliable targets the Redskins have as he had only seven drops in 181 targets.
- He had 113 catches last season, so he’s proven he can go well over 90 catches.
Reasons for under 90 catches:
- The presence of DeSean Jackson will take some catches away from Garcon.
- The presence of Andre Roberts will take some catches away from Garcon.
- A healthy Jordan Reed will take catches away from Garcon.
- The running backs will be more involved in the Redskins passing game.
Pierre Garcon had the best season of his career in 2013, and he is certainly capable of performing at that level again this season. However, part of the reason Garcon was targeted so often last season was the lack of other targets in the Redskins passing game. And while Garcon came through by getting open a lot, there weren’t a whole lot of quality options for Robert Griffin III.
With DeSean Jackson and Andre Roberts now on board with the Redskins, the likelihood of Pierre Garcon being targeted as much as he did last season isn’t that high. The Redskins will be passing the ball more next season, but they will still probably be more of a running team than a high-powered passing team. So I don’t think Garcon will exceed 90 catches next season.
2014 Projection: 80 receptions, 1,100 yards