The Washington Redskins have selected Jay Gruden as their new head coach. His path and ascension to becoming the head coach of one of the marquee franchises in the NFL is an interesting one. And while many will point to his family members as a reason. If you look at his history you see that he blazed his own trail as well to get to where his is.
Recent Coaching History:
- Offensive coordinator – Cincinnati Bengals (2011-13)
- Head coach / general manager – Florida Tuskers, UFL (2010)
- Offensive coordinator – Florida Tuskers, UFL (2009)
- Head coach – Orlando Predators, AFL (2004-09)
Career head coaching Record: 93-61 (AFL/UFL)
Coaching Background: Gruden has never been a head coach in the NFL, but was from his time in the arena league and the UFL. His NFL coaching experience began in 2002 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as an offensive assistant under head coach John Gruden, his brother. During this time Gruden established a relationship with then Buccaneers general manager and current Redskins GM Bruce Allen.
Gruden has been the offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals the past three seasons, and has helped in the development of Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton. And the Bengals offense is ranked in the top 10 in the league this year in yards per game and also in scoring.
Jay Gruden actually coached under former Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett in the UFL, as the offensive coordinator for the Florida Tuskers when Haslett was the head coach there. Haslett left the UFL to become defensive coordinator for the Redskins, and Gruden succeeded him as head coach and general manager of the team.
Things to know about Jay Gruden:
- Played quarterback at the University of Louisville from 1985-1988
- He ranks 4th all-time in passing yards at Louisville with 7,024.
- Gruden played quarterback in the Arena Football League for seven seasons.
- He coached in the AFL for nine seasons.
- As a player Gruden is known as one the greatest players in AFL history.
- Gruden was Arena League MVP in 1992.
- He won 4 Arena bowl titles playing with the Tampa Bay Storm
Jay Gruden’s father Jim Gruden is a former NFL assistant coach, and scout. His brother Jon Gruden is a former NFL head coach with the Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and current analyst for ESPN.