Redskins vs. Falcons. This is a position by position comparison between the Washington Redskins and the Atlanta Falcons leading up their Week 15 contest.
1. Quarterback Comparison: Advantage Falcons – Kirk Cousins the has potential to be good, but Matt Ryan is obviously the better quarterback.
2. Running back Comparison: Advantage Redskins – Steven Jackson has had a great career, but Alfred Morris is the better runner of the tow at this point in time. Also, Redskins backup Roy Helu Jr., would start for some teams.
3. Receiver Comparison: Advantage Falcons – The Falcons won’t have Julio Jones at their disposal, but the they will have Roddy White, and Harry Douglas is having a good season for them. .
4. Tight End Comparison: Advantage Falcons - Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez is a future Hall of Famer and is still very good. No Jordan Reed for the Redskins means the Falcons have the advantage here.
5. Offensive line Comparison: Advantage Redskins – The Redskins O-line led by left tackle Trent Williams may not be the among the best lines in the league, but they are a much better unit than the what the Falcons have..
6. Defensive line Comparison: Advantage Redskins – This is very close, but I think the Redskins D-line is better because they have the best lineman between the two in Barry Cofield. The Falcons Corey Peters isn’t far behind though.
7. Linebacker Comparison: Advantage Redskins – The Falcons have a very good linebacker in Sean Weatherspoon and rookie Paul Worrilow has played well, but with Brian Orakpo coming on strong down the stretch for the Redskins, they have the advantage.
8. Cornerback Comparison: Advantage Redskins – This is another close one, but I think the Redskins have the advantage. DeAngelo Hall is playing better than Asante Samuel and I like the Redskins rookie corner David Amerson over the Falcons Desmond Trufant.
9. Safety Comparison: Advantage Falcons – The Falcons all-pro safety William Moore is having a down year, but he still has the edge over the Redskins safeties Brandon Meriweather and Reed Doughty. The Falcons won’t have their other all-pro safety Thomas Decoud this week, and he will be replaced by rookie Zeke Motta.
10. Kicker Comparison: Advantage Falcons – The Falcons Matt Bryant has had a much better season than the Redskins Kai Forbath.
11. Punter Comparison: Advantage Falcons – The Falcons Matt Bosher is having a much better season than the Redskins Sav Rocca. Redskins vs. Falcons.
12. Coach Comparison: Advantage Falcons – This the first losing season for Falcons head coach Mike Smith in his six years as head coach. The Redskins Mike Shanahan has struggled with 3 losing seasons out of his four with the team.
The Falcons have the advantage in 7 out of 12 positional categories. However, the Redskins enjoy advantages on both lines. But the ultimate advantage the Falcons have is being the home team for this contest.