49ers vs. Redskins – Storylines
- The way the game unfolded at the end against the Eagles with a Robert Griffin III interception, continues to reverberate more than the fact that the team was down 24-0 in the second half. The media scrutiny on RGIII will continue, especially if the game is close late.
- Team chemistry will also be under a microscope as there was some finger-pointing from Santana Moss towards RGIII through the media.
- Wide receiver Joshua Morgan will start in place of the injured Leonard Hankerson. Morgan’s playing time had been reduced by Mike Shanahan, and now Morgan will get a second chance. Also, Morgan is a former San Francisco 49er, having played for them before becoming a Redskin.
San Francicso 49ers:
- The 49ers are fighting for a wild card spot this season after having won the NFC West last season. So the Niners need a win against the Redskins to keep their playoff hopes alive.
- 49er outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks will garner a lot of attention due to the fine he incurred for his hit on Saints QB Drew Brees. Expect cameras on Brooks seeing how he delivers his tackle, especially on RGIII. Also, Brooks’ late father Perry Brooks played for the Washington Redskins in the 70’s and 80’s.
- 49ers cornerback Carlos Rodgers was drafted number 9 by the Redskins in the 2005 NFL Draft and spent six years with the team.
The Redskins X-Factors:
- Offense: Chris Chester – Pass protection has become a big issue for the Redskins. Right guard Chris Chester leads the team in QB Hurries allowed. Chester needs to play strong against the 49ers defensive line and give RGIII time to throw.
- Defense: Ryan Kerrigan – Kerrigan’s sack numbers have tailed off from his hot start to the season. The Redskins defense will need Kerrigan and Brian Orakpo to get after QB Colin Kaepernick and get some sacks.
The Eagles X-Factors:
- Offense: QB Colin Kaepernick – Kaepernick is only hitting 56% of his passes this season and his QB Rating of 81, is much lower than last season. The Redskins can’t afford for Kaepernick to catch fire in this game.
- Defense – Aldon Smith – This is Smith third game back after taking an absence from the team. So far he’s been pretty quiet in his return, but Smith is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and he’s due for a break out game.
- How will Joshua Morgan perform as starter? Mike Shanahan stated that he thinks Morgan can be an all-pro. Well Morgan gets his chance to prove it on Monday night.
- Will the Redskins offense mix things up, or Stick to the plan? RGIII stated after the Eagles loss that the Eagles knew what the offense was doing. This is a symptom of a totally predictable offense.