49ers vs. Redskins. This is a tale of the tape style, statistical comparison between the Washington Redskins and the San Francisco 49ers leading up their Week 12 contest. We also examine which has the advantage in key categories over the other.
1. Home/Road Record: Advantage 49ers - The 49ers have been a good road team, and the Redskins are at .500 at home.
2. Total Offense: Advantage Redskins – The Redskins average 412 yards per game compared to 309 for the 49ers.
3. Passing Offense: Advantage Redskins – The Redskins average 256 yards per game compared to 168 for the 49ers.
4. Rushing Offense: Advantage Redskins - The Redskins average 155 yard per game compared to 141 for the 49ers.
5. Receiving Offense: Advantage 49ers - The 49ers average 12.8 yards a catch compared to 12.2 for the Redskins.
6. Total Defense: Advantage 49ers - The 49ers allow 323 yards per game compared to 389 for the Redskins.
7. Passing Defense: Advantage 49ers - The 49ers allow 220 yards per game compared to 274 for the Redskins.
8. Rushing Defense: Advantage 49ers - The 49ers allow 103 yards per game compared to 115 for the Redskins.
10. Turnover Differential: Advantage 49ers - The 49ers are + 6 in turnover differential compared to -2 for the Redskins.
The 49ers have the advantage in six out of ten statistical categories. However, the Redskins have a huge advantage on offense, but considering their record, you wouldn’t know it. The 49ers are a true smash mouth football team, and the Redskins are the same on offense, but the difference between the two lies on the defense.
The Redskins passing defense is poor, but the question is can the 49ers take advantage of this? As the Niners have the lowest ranked passing offense in the NFL. The 49ers are also good at creating turnovers, so the Redskins will need to take care of the football, especially Robert Griffin III while he’s in the pocket.
The 49ers also have an advantage on special teams, as their kicker and punter are much better statistically than the Redskins. Not to mention the Redskins coverage teams have been shaky.