Chargers vs. Redskins – These are five things that if the Redskins can accomplish, they will stand a better chance of getting the win against the Chargers.
1. Get the passing game going early – Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has to find a way to get the passing game or the offense in general going early. Too many times this season have the Redskins fell behind early, and have had to abandon the run, and as we saw against the Broncos, the passing game was stagnant and predictable. The Chargers are too good on offense to fall to far behind on.
2. Get a pass rush on Philip Rivers – Philip Rivers is the key to the Chargers attack. If he has time in the pocket he will pick the Redskins poor pass defense apart. So the Redskins need to fins a way to get to him, or make him hurry throws. Ryan Kerrigan and Brian Orakpo have to get hit on Rivers, and the defensive line led by Barry Cofield needs to help with that as well.
3. Establish a third receiving option – We know that Pierre Garcon is the Redskins top wide receiver and rookie TE Jordan Reed has emerged as RGIII’s top target. But other than those two, there really isn’t a consistent third option. The Redskins need either Leonard Hankerson, Santana Moss, or Aldrick Robinson to step up and give RGIII more options. Also running back Roy Helu, Jr. is a good receiving option of the backfield too.
4. Control the line of scrimmage – This is mostly for the Redskins offensive line. Last week they let Robert Griffin III get hit too many times. They have to sustain blocks better, as a few of their efforts led to RGIII taking punishment, and even having a knee injury. The Chargers don’t have a great pass rusher like a Von Miller, so the Redskins line won’t have an excuse if they are beaten too often.
5. No special teams mishaps – Let’s see if the Redskins can put together consecutive games where the special teams doesn’t give a mishap. Long returns or blocked punts have plagued the Redskins this season, and if they are to make a run in the second half of the season their special teams will need to play better.
Chargers vs. Redskins