Redskins vs. Broncos – These are five things that if the Redskins can accomplish, they will stand a better chance of getting the win against the Broncos.
1. Get a pass rush on Peyton Manning – If Peyton Manning’s jersey is clean at the end of the game on Sunday, then that will more than likely mean a Redskins loss. The Skins have to have a consistent pass rush on Manning. We’ve seen throughout Manning’s career that he can be thrown off his game a little when he is under pressure and taking hits. So whether it’s Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan, or defensive backs blitzing, or the D-line led by Barry Cofield, it may take all of them to get to Manning.
2. Have success running the football – With RGIII getting production running the football along with running backs Alfred Morris and Roy Helu Jr., the Redskin must get a running game going against the Broncos. This will limit the amount of possessions for Peyton Manning, and the less Manning touches the football, the less chance the Broncos can score. Manning tends to get frustrated when he’s on the bench for long stretches, and he is more prone to make mistakes when he’s trying to force the issue. Plus the greater success the Redskins have running, will allow them used more play-action and help them in the passing game.
3. Create / Limit Turnovers – Even if the Redskins have success slowing down the Broncos offense, they won’t stop them completely. So they will need the Broncos offense to hurt themselves by turning over the football. If the Redskins can get at least two turnovers from the Broncos, without turning it over themselves, then the Redskins chances of winning will increase exponentially.
4. Keep Von Miller contained – Miller returned last week off of a six game suspension against the Colts. He was understandably rusty after such a long lay off, but the Redskins can’t expect that to happen two weeks in a row. Miller will be coming after Robert Griffin III, so the Redskins offensive line, particularly left tackle Trent Williams will need to continue to play at a high level in hopes of keeping Miller from having too big of an impact on the game. RGIII must also find Miller and use his mobility to escape his rush when necessary
5. Kick away from Trindon Holliday – The Redskins special teams played better against the Bears, but the still surrendered an 81 yard punt return TD to Devin Hester. The Broncos return man Trindon Holliday is dangerous as well, so the Redskins would be wise not to risk kicking to him, as a score special teams could all but end any hopes the Redskins have to win the game.
Redskins vs. Broncos