The Washington Redskins defeated the Oakland Raiders 24-14 for their first win of the season. This victory was spearheaded by the Redskins defense as they recorded seven sacks and held the Raiders to 14 points. Ryan Kerrigan continued his good play with three sacks, and Brian Orakpo and Barry Cofield had two sacks each.
Robert Griffin III had 227 yards passing and a TD, and Alfred Morris had 71 yards rushing before leaving the game with a rib injury. The Raiders were without starting QB Terrelle Pryor, but a win is a win, especially on the road.
Redskins vs. Raiders – second half observations and analysis
- The Redskins get a three and out on the Raiders for a change as DeAngleo Hall is back in the lineup after an ankle injury in the first half. Very good start to the second half.
- The Redskins return the favor with a three and out of their own. I’m not sure why no one broke off their route on that play as, it was obvious the Raiders were coming on a blitz. There is a clear lack of awareness happening with this team.
- Not much production coming from the TE’s thus far.
- A TE finally steps up as Logan Paulsen makes a 33 yard catch, but then he fumbles and turns it over.
- Brian Orakpo is showing up today with a sack and some big tackles. Forced a 4th down and Janikowski missed a 52 yard field goal. The Redskins dodged a bullet after that fumble.
- The Redskins take advantage of good field postion from the missed field goal and score on a 5 yard TD pass from RGIII to Pierre Garcon! 17-10 Redskins.
- Lots of players getting injured in this game, now Alfred Morris has gone down with a rib injury.
- Another Sack for Orakpo! That’s what we need from him, domination. Raiders punt again. Redskins lead 17-10.
- Six sacks for the Redskins so far today. Of course that total might be lower if Terrelle Pryor was playing, but we’ll take it.
- The Redskins are squandering opportunities on offense, as the passing game is slowing down again. They seem to be missing the tough running of Alfred Morris.
Kerrigan with another sack and strip, that’s what you envision from bookends like Kerrigan and Orakpo!
- Great Scramble by RGIII, reminiscent of last season with the run and pass to Roy Helu Jr.
- Helu Jr. Finishes off the drive strong with a 14 yard TD run. Redskins lead 24-14!
- Huge stop on 4th down by the Redskins defense, as Flynn was stuffed on the QB sneak.
- The Redskins defense seems geared to stop conventional offenses as they have against the Raiders. They need to become better prepared for up-tempo offenses though.
- The Redskins win 24-14.