This may come as a shock to much of burgundy and gold nation, but there were no Washington Redskins selected for the NFL’s new honors ceremony. By the way, it’s entitled “NFL Honors”- how original. For those fans that aren’t bitter enough to click away at once, here are your award winners for the 2011-2012 season via CBS Sports:
- NFL MVP – Aaron Rodgers (QB) – Green Bay Packers
- Offensive Rookie of the Year – Cam Newton (QB) – Carolina Panthers
- Defensive Rookie of the Year – Von Miller (LB) – Denver Broncos
- AP Defensive Player of the Year – Terrell Suggs (LB) – Baltimore Ravens
- AP Offensive Player of the Year – Drew Brees (QB) – New Orleans Saints
- Coach of the Year – Jim Harbaugh (HC) – San Francisco 49ers
- Comeback Player of the Year – Matthew Stafford (QB) – Detroit Lions [Excited to see this guys recognized]
The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced its class of 2012 today as well. The Redskins had a streak of four straight years with a Hall of Famer broken. Just to refresh your memory, the Redskins had Darrell Green and Art Monk inducted in 2008, Bruce Smith (albeit briefly a Redskin) in 2009, Russ Grimm in 2010 and of course Chris Hanburger last year. Headlining the 2012 class will be Curtis “My Favorite” Martin, the former Patriots and Jets running back per WKYT.
Here is a look at the inductees for 2012:
- CB Jack Butler
- C Dermontti Dawson
- DE/LB Chris Doleman
- DT Cortez Kennedy
- RB Curtis Martin
- T Willie Roaf
Cris Carter, Jerome Bettis, Michael Strahan and Bill Parcells will look to make their way into the Hall in 2013. The Redskins don’t have anybody in particular that appears to be a lock within the next few (and by few I mean many) years. This years class seems a bit boring and less star-studded than the previous few, but I’m sure 2013 and 2014 will not disappoint. Congratulations to those that have made it!
Stick with Riggo’s Rag tomorrow for Super Bowl XLVI coverage, insight, witty jokes and commercial analysis.
NOTE: “NFL HONORS” WILL AIR ON NBC AT NINE O’CLOCK ET. IF YOU’VE ALREADY READ THIS FAR, SORRY.