This is the first of many mocks, which have become so popular across the blogosphere in recent years. For our Washington faithful we have here the first ten overall picks of the 2012 NFL Draft as mocked by Riggo’s Rag with the help of it’s Fansided NFL affiliates. It’s never too early to decide your future.
1st Overall Selection – Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Standford
- It’s safe to say that with Jim Irsay announcing the Colts will take Luck, that well, they will. Peyton will be looking for a new home in all likelihood.
2 – Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
- The Redskins fans and media have been toying with ideas such as Matt Flynn or Peyton Manning through free agency. There are also rumors that they will do something similar to 2011 and create a million picks out of a few or even go after Brandon Weeden from Oklahoma State. I don’t buy it this year. Shanahan has to get his unquestionable franchise quarterback. The Redskins have more resources and potential players to trade than Miami or Cleveland. I like the Redskins to move up to the second spot and get their guy. Welcome to D.C., Mr. Griffin.
3 – Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
- The Vikings need an offensive tackle. They need linemen period. With Adrian Peterson coming off a torn ACL (courtesy of your Washington Redskins) and a very young, developing QB in Christian Ponder – their top priority should be shoring up the front five on offense.
4 – Cleveland Browns: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
- Sorry Justin, but you’ll be heading into the abyss that is the Cleveland Browns. I hope for Blackmon’s sake that Colt McCoy works out or maybe the Browns can land a key free agent quarterback (although it’s a long shot). I think Cleveland needs a quarterback as bad as Washington or Miami so they could possibly work out a deal to get to number two. For now though I have Megatron Jr. landing in Cleveland.
5 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
- The Buccaneers finished with the worst defense in franchise history last year, even worse than the 70′s Yuckaneers in their creamsicle’s. New head coach Greg Schiano will most-likely put the emphasis on defense and well, nothing says defense like taking a cornerback at the five spot. Claiborne is everything the Bucs need right now. I also wouldn’t be surprised (if things get shaken up in the draft) if they go after former Redskins and now-49ers free agent Carlos Rogers.
6 – St. Louis Rams: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
- With Blackmon off the board and assuming they make the trade with Washington, the Rams will look to their second need which is protecting Sam Bradford after an injury-plagued season.
7 – Jacksonville Jaguars: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
- Jacksonville needs a pass rush. With the top WR and CB’s gone at this point, I like Jacksonville to take the standout defensive end from UNC. Coples is 6’6″ 280 lbs and one bad dude. That’s my expert analysis. If Jacksonville doesn’t go defensive end here, I believe they could target an offensive lineman or even possibly Alabama’s Trent Richardson. You heard it here first!
8 – Miami Dolphins: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
- No matter who is behind center come training camp, the Dolphins will need somebody to protect him. Martin is a very smart pick for them should they not move up or out of the eight overall pick.
9 – Carolina Panthers: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
- Brockers is a true defensive tackle at 6’5″ and 305 lbs. The Panthers struggled on defense like much of the NFC South did this past season. Carolina’s defense could take a leap forward with Brockers in the middle.
10 – Buffalo Bills: Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLD, Alabama
- The Bills need a pass rush and Chan Gailey knows it. Upshaw had an outstanding performance in the National Championship versus LSU; I’d expect him to get some of the Nick Fairley-esque hype. Hopefully Upshaw can provide a more immediate impact for Buffalo than Fairley has for Detroit.
This is the first of many mocks here at Riggo’s Rag. Check back for more news and updates on the Redskins. Also, you can head over to the twitter and follow me @KMawyer2 and the blog @RiggosRag. A special thanks to WalterFootball.com for the template, they provide great draft news and updates on all 32 NFL teams. Our mock draft is also featured on DCProSportsReport.com, HailRedskins.com, Sports Jabber and FFToolBox.com, so be sure to check these guys out.
Topics: 2010 NFL Draft, 2011 NFL Draft, 2011 NFL Draft Prospect Big Board, Andrew Luck, Big Board, Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Mike Shanahan, Minnesota Vikings, Mock Draft, NFL, NFL Draft, Redskins, Robert Griffin III