As a follow-up to Ryan’s previous post about Malcolm Kelly and Brandon Banks being on the bubble, I certainly agree with the notion that both players are in danger of losing their spots on the 53 man roster. For the record, no that is not a picture of me above, yet I did feel the need to snap a quick photo of this gentleman’s #14 converted Brad Johnson jersey at yesterday’s 4:00 open practice. (For those in the dark, John Beck will be wearing Malcom Kelly’s #12 this year; Kelly has switched to #14).
As of today I’d say Brandon Banks has a better shot of making the team because of his proven return ability on special teams, but I just don’t see how Malcolm Kelly makes this team. Coming into camp word on the street was that if Malcolm Kelly even showed any glimpses of a limp at Redskins Park, that would potentially be it for the 2008 2nd rounder. Kelly had a 5-catch, 109 yard recieving game week 17 vs. the Chargers in January of 2010, which I remember was promising at the time, but the inability to stay healthy cannot be ignored, and I sense it will be his downfall this August. Here we are not even a week into camp, and midway through yesterday’s practice shortly after some very light, no defensive back, basic route running drills, I look down to my left to see Kelly on the sideline with 2 trainers attending to him. Same old story, and with additions such as Donte Stallworth, Gaffney, and new 2nd rounder Leonard Hankerson (who looked pretty sharp catching the football yesterday), to go along with the returning starters of Moss and Anthony Armstrong . . . I just don’t see how Kelly beats out any of those guys. In my opinion I think the fan from camp may be removing that white tape from his jersey sooner than expected.
Other Camp Notes Off the top of My Head . . . .
- Terrence Austin, the 2nd year WR from UCLA is fast as hell, and caught some really tough passes, one of them was in a lot of traffic during 11 on 11 drills.
- Both Barry Cofield and Stephen Bowen, the 2 new free agent D-line signings formerly of the Giants and Cowboys respectively . . . . are both massive human beings. Jarvis Jenkins appears to be bigger than advertised as well.
- H.B. Blades seems to have command over the 2nd unit defense and is high-motor every play, I get the sense Jim Haslett feels comfortable with Blades shouting out directions and assignments as a “mini-Fletcher 2.0″
- Kevin Barnes has taken the #22 Jersey from Carlos Rogers who signed with San Francisco
- Undrafted rookie DB Davonte Shannon had a pretty sick interception on a deep ball near the sideline in 11 on 11 drills.
- Besides a few pressure packed moments on Sunday’s in the fall, being a kicker and long snapper in the NFL has got to be the most laid-back, easiest day-to-day 6 figure salaried job on the planet. Graham Gano, Shayne Graham, and Nick Sundberg . . . just chillen.