I like many of other sports fans and people who cover and comment on sports like to listen to what the other teams fans are saying….
From what Ive read a lot of Philly fans seem to be of the thinking that had Vick not got hurt the Eagles would have won week 4. Seeing as how Washington was ahead 14 to 0 when Vick got knocked out Im not completely sold on their way of thinking.
However it did inspire me to write my 5 potential keys to shutting down Vick
1. Mike Vick himself- After 96 games of NFL experience (playoffs included) he still does not know how to slide, says he has no desire to learn and has no plans of changing his style of play.
His style opens him up to taking too many big and unneeded hits which gives him an added risk of injury. Right now he is still nursing a rib cartilage injury from the last time he played the Skins and trust me they have not forgotten this.
Washington needs to come out and hit him and hit him hard.
2. Philadelphia Eagles offensive line- They often allow defenses to get too much pressure on the quarterback and have already given up 24 sacks (tied for 5th most) so far on the season.
With the Eagles line being as shaky as it it is right now the potential is there for it to be a long game for Mike Vick.
3. Albert Haynesworth- Despite all of the off season drama and his lack of playing time early on he is finally coming around. He has recently managed to put together some of his best outings since becoming a Redskin and should continue to do so the more comfortable he gets in the new defense.
Last time Haynesworth played against the eagles he had 4 tackles, a pass defensed and was able to get in to the backfield. He gave Philly fits and twice the person responsible for blocking him got called for holding.
When Haynesworth is playing at a high level it makes it that much easier for the other players on defense to apply pressure on the quarterback.
4. Brian Orakpo- At just the halfway point of the season he already has 7 sacks and if he was not getting held so often (ask Alex Barron he knows what I mean) he would more than likely be in the double digits right now.
If he plays on Monday the Redskins should rely quite a bit on Orakpo to put pressure on Vick and with the Eagles line giving up sacks the way they do this could mean a big day for Mr. Sakpo
5. DeAngelo Hall- I was actually tempted to go with Landry for my number 5 but instead decided on Hall.
We continue to hear about how long it has been since Vick has thrown an interception and all that says to me is he could be due for one soon. Interceptions are part of the game and no matter how good a qb is eventually he will throw a pick or two and this could be the week Vick’s streak ends.
Despite some of his obvious flaws in coverage he has came up with several big plays for the Skins this season and this could be one of those type of games for Hall.