The Jason Campbell Era Is Over


Jason Campbell’s career as a Washington Redskin is now over.  He has been dealt to the Oakland Raiders for a 4th round pick in 2012.

The Oakland Raiders, after making a deal that shipped out their leading tackler for the past four years, added a possible starting quarterback Saturday in a deal with the Washington Redskins forJason Campbell.

In acquiring Campbell, the Raiders added a year to his existing contract, the quarterback told ESPN.com’s Matt Mosley. He will make $4.5 million in 2011.

“I look at this as getting to start over,” Campbell told Mosley via phone. “I talked to Mr. [Al] Davis, and he wanted me for two years. He wants me to help their team to a new level.”

Campbell had already signed the Redskins’ tender offer worth $3.1 million for 2010. Campbell said he and his agent, Joel Segal, had received interest from the Carolina Panthers on Friday until they selected Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen with the No. 48 overall pick.

When asked if he was promised the starting position by the Raiders, Campbell said he “got that feeling.”

“I’m going to work hard to make sure that happens,” said Campbell, who will compete with former No. 1 draft pick JaMarcus Russell after he was benched last season.

Jason Campbell goes in believing that he will be the opening day starter:

“I feel like I’m going there to be the starter,” Campbell told Rich Eisen on NFL Network.

We’re not surprised.  The contract, not to mention Campbell’s talent and production, makes him the heavy favorite to start.  We also wouldn’t be surprised if Tom Cable says there will be a quarterback competition, even if it’s tilted towards Campbell.

Next Redskins Game View full schedule »
Sunday, Sep 77 Sep12:00at Houston TexansBuy Tickets
Dick's Sporting Goods presents "Hell Week":

Tags: Jason Campbell