Mike Shanahan has kept his appearances and comments short and few (if any) since he has been named head coach. He has been mum on several rumors and speculation, such as:
- Who will quarterback this team?
- What will he do with Clinton Portis?
- What type of defensive scheme will they employ?
- Who will they take in the draft?
On Friday morning, he spoke. As a sign of how things have changed since Vinny Cerato resigned and Jim Zorn traded to the Baltimore Ravens for Drew Gooden, the organization has been run differently and fans could tell. That change involved less transparency in team dealings, and finally Shanahan threw us a bone.
* The Redskins expects to tender Jason Campbell next week, and Shanahan said that he would “expect him to be here” at minicamp (pre-draft minicamp).
* He alluded to the widely speculated rumor of the Skins going 3-4 on defense. However, he added that they would use a 4 man front.
* He side stepped direct questions regarding RB Clinton Portis, asking that the focus be on the whole team and not on one individual.(more on this later on)
* Buffalo was considered as a job he would take, but his wife was not found of Buffalo winters.
* He stressed the importance of off-season work outs.
Considering that we have heard nothing new this winter, and “blog talk” has been as good as gospel, we learned alot today from Shanahan. We learned, and had confirmed, what we already knew from the get go. But the affirmation by Shanahan was refreshing and a sign that they[Redskins's coachin staff] do intend to follow through with the plans they would like to implement.
We heard that the Redskins plan on having a pre-draft mini camp, normal for teams with a first year coach. It will be interesting to see who shows, and who shows up ready. Training in Arizona or elsewhere may get you to the front of the line for being cut this year around. Until then I am curious to see what happens with:
- The Casey Rabach contract extension talks
- Whether Chris Samuels retires
- How the Redskins address the recent arrests, namely Byron Westbrook’s DUI
PAGING: LARON LANDRY